What motivates a young man or woman to serve their country? They have an entire future ahead of them. What causes them to answer the call to protect the American way of life and its freedoms, at a potentially great cost to themselves and their loved ones?
Here are top 10 answers we recently received from veterans and service members. Their answers are not uncommon among those who join the military.
Read them and be reminded of the courage and strength of those who serve and join us in celebrating and supporting those who answer the call.
- “I loved having a one purpose – protecting our country and keeping us free.” – Robert R., Veteran
- “What I love most about serving my country is being able to answer the call to service and stand next to my brothers and sisters to defend this great nation.” – Sabrina L., E5
- “I stand for my flag, my Country and my neighbor.” – Richard B., E5
- “The …feeling of connection and pride I have knowing that I follow in the footsteps of the men and women who have come before me.” – Julius A., E6
- “The community and common goal of joining American men and women of all cultural backgrounds to voluntarily serve our country.” – Cindy C., O5
- “The idea that I was giving my all for my family back home.” – Ian S., E3
- “When I was going through basic training, I was asked why I enlisted. My answer was simple, I wanted to be like Xena, Mulan, Pocahontas, and G.I. Jane. I serve because I want to be the 1% that fights back when the enemy comes knocking. I take pride knowing that my family and friends are safe when I am in uncomfortable conditions, wherever it may be, miles away from home.” – Andrea B, E5
- “Being in military has shown me that I am capable of doing a lot more than I ever believed I could.” –Andrew F, E5
- “I love being a part of something bigger than myself… an organization comprised of proud Americans with shared values of selfless service, honor, integrity, and loyalty.” – Robert Z., O4
- “Service before self. I serve for my country and for the people in it.” – Matthew L., O6
If you are looking for a way to get involved in supporting our military families, we invite you to join our Answer The Call campaign.